Why I might want to become a computer scientist?
This was the first homework assignment for the students in the class CS125 --
Introduction to Computer Science in the Fall 1996 session. Students were
required to write an essay about their perception of Computer Science and why
they are interested in becoming a Computer Scientist. Here is the best of the
pick by Becky Zagurski.
Please note that this message at times adhears to all social streotypes and, is
for your amusement. Therefore, in a style stolen from David Letterman, I have
devised a ``Top Ten List'' to answer the question, ``Why I might want to become
a computer scientist.''
- I thought it would be a great way to learn how to type.
- I no longer need to sleep at night. Now I just take naps while I wait for
the system to respond to my commands.
- The Binary Number System.
- The fact that once I become a computer scientist, I can financialy ruin Bill
Gates to the point that Babygirl Gates has to go to community college.
- Since we are on the money subject, as tempting as most low wage, benefitless
jobs are, I am opting for the big bucks of computer science.
- Getting to work on the dingy, dirty, oily, filthy, keyboards in the student
- Have I mentioned the Binary Number System yet?
- There is nothing like a tension headache caused by staring at the monitor.
- Graduating Suma Cum Lade because I know how to hack into the system and
change my grades.
- I want to be a nerd like the teacher.
By Becky Zagurski